Significance of Oral Health
World Oral Health Day is celebrated every year on 20th March, this year it’s celebrated with a simple but a very powerful message- “Proud of your Mouth”. Oral health determines your overall health.
Why Oral Health is Important?
Food first enters mouth then reaches to abdominal cavity so the maximum chances of infection to travel in our digestive system is through mouth. So it becomes necessary to maintain a good oral hygiene for a healthy digestion.
Oral Health is Age Old Concept
Tooth brushes and Tooth pastes are new concepts of new era but since ages our ancestors are maintaining there Oral Hygiene. HOW? Acharyas had mention about Oral health even when Toothbrushes, Toothpastes and Tongue cleaners were not available. So let’s go back to ages to know some interesting facts
Ayurveda and Oral Health
- Plant twigs and powder of herbs were used for maintaing oral hygiene.
- Today also many Tooth pastes are available in market which have herbal composition.
Nature and Oral Health
Dant Pavana (Brushing teeth)
- Acacia catehu (Khadir)
- Pongamia pinnata (Karanja)
- Azadirachta indica (Nimb)
- Nerium indicum (Karveer)
- Terminalia arjuna (Arjuna)
Herbal powders used as a paste
- Piper nigrum (Maricha)
- Piper longum (Pippali)
- Saussurea lappa (Kushtha)
- Terminalia bellerica (Bibithaki)
- Elletaria cardamomum (Elaichi)
Concepts of Ayurveda
What should be the taste of twigs?
Prakriti (Body Constitution)
- Vata Dosha
- Pitta Dosha
- Kapha Dosha
- Mulethi, Khadir
Rasa of Plant (Taste)
- Sweet, Astringent
- Jihva Nirlekhna (Tongue Cleaning)-
Metallic tongue scrappers made up of Gold, Silver, Copper, Tin, Brass were used for tongue cleaning. It’s important to clean your tongue after brushing as the food we eat in 24 hrs gets accumulated as a white coat above our tongue which can become a good feed for bacteria.
Kavala/ Gandush – Holding liquid in mouth with Or without movements
- Kavala:- Medicated oil, decoction or simple water is moved inside mouth.
- Gandush:- Medicated oil, decoction is held in mouth without any movements.
Benefits of Kavala and Gandush:-
- Prevents dryness of Throat and Lips
- Prevents Dental Caries
- Imparts strength to jaws
- Provides Clarity of voice
Tambool Sevan (Chewing Mouth Fresheners)
Chewing Betel leaves with Khadir (Acacia catechu) Areca nut (Areca catechu) after food gives a –
- Refreshing taste,
- Cleans mouth,
- Removes bad odour.
So the concept of Mouth fresheners were too old, which we follow today in our daily regime.