Hair adds to your personality
Want to know about your hair?
So let’s get some knowledge of our hair as per Modern and Ayurvedic prospects :-
- Hair is a protein filament made up of Keratin protein.
- Hair grows everywhere in external surface except in mucous membrane (like palms, lips, soles).
- Hair growth vary from person to person.
- An average hair growth is about one and half inch per month.
- Our natural hair colour is due a pigment known as Melanin.
- For a healthy person 1 lakh is the maximum number of hair follicles on scalp.
- Hair follicle below the scalp is living and above the scalp is a dead shaft.
Basic structure of hair follicle:-
This was all about a basic structure of hair follicle, now let’s continue with the hair related problems-
WHAT IS HAIRFALL?
- Hairfall is referred to as loss of hair from scalp.
- Medically it is termed as “Alopecia”.
- According to Ayurveda hairfall is termed as “Khalitya”.
- According to Acharya Charak “Khalitya” is a Pitta dominant vyadhi.
- The vitiated pitta dosha damages the hair follicle thus leading to hairfall.
PATTERNS OF HAIR LOSS:-
Causes of hairfall :-
- Stress – Stress directly doesn’t leads to hairfall, but it increases the resting phase of the hair follicles.
- Pregnancy- Due to hormonal disbalance
- Certain medications- Like anti-depressants, birth control pills, Steroids, NSAIDS etc.
- Pollution – Air pollution, water pollution leads to hair loss.
- Chemicals- Hair coloring agents contain chemicals like Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, Toluene etc.
- Unhealthy habits- Eating lots of junk food, oily spicy products can cause hairloss.
- Ageing – As the age progresses hairfall increases with time.
- Improper diet– Lack of proper proteins, vitamins and minerals in diet leads to hairfall.
- Heredity– The condition known as “Androgenic alopecia” is the reason for male and female pattern baldness.