Botanical name: Tinospora cordifolia
- Guduchi is a Sanskrit word which means “ That protects body from diseases”.
- Another name for this herb is “ Amrita” which refers to the “ Heavenly elixir” according to Hindu Mythology.
- Giloy is also called as ‘Amruta‘ in Sanskrit which means “Nectar”.
- Giloy is known as “Madhunashini” -“ Destroyer of Sugar”
Tinospora contains diverse phytochemicals including
- Phenylpropene disaccharides
- Tinosporic acid
1. RESPIRATORY SYSTEM:-
Giloy reduces several respiratory problems such as chest tightness, shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing etc.
2. GILOY FOR SKIN:-
Giloy contains anti- aging properties that help reduce dark spots, pimples, fine lines and wrinkles.
3. HYPOGLYCEMIC EFFECTS OF GILOY:-
- Currently available oral anti- diabetic synthetic drugs in the management of diabetes partially can compensate metabolic derangements.
- It has been reported that, 1-2 substituted pyrolidines isolated from the stem of Guduchi is responsible for anti- diabetic activity.
- It helps to enhance the production of insulin which ultimately controls the blood sugar levels.
Giloy improves digestion and reduces digestion related problems like diarrhea, colitis, vomiting, hyperacidity etc.
5. GILOY AS AN IMMUNITY BOOSTER:-
- This herb activates the immune system of the body and increases the vitality in a person.
- It is full of antioxidants and helps to release toxins from the body.
6. GILOY FOR CHRONIC FEVER:-
- In Ayurveda, two factors cause fever- Ama (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion) and the second one is due to some foreign particles.
- Giloy acts in chronic, recurrent fever, it is an anti- inflammatory, antipyretic herb which helps to boosts immunity to fight against the infections and also helps in early recovery.
7. GILOY AS A STRESS RELIEVER:-
- Giloy calms the body and is an excellent remedy to reduce mental stress and anxiety.
- It calms the body and has the power to enhance memory and cognitive functions.
Read Also: Hairfall : Types, Patterns, Causes
Note:- There are no such serious complications of consuming giloy since it is a natural and safe herbal remedy. However since in some cases the uses of giloy can cause constipation and lower blood sugar levels if taken taken in high doses. Also it should be avoided in pregnancy and breastfeeding conditions.