Botanical name: Tinospora cordifolia
- Guduchi is a Sanskrit word which means “ That protects body from diseases”.
- Another name for this herb is “ Amrita” which refers to the “ Heavenly elixir” according to Hindu Mythology.
- Giloy is also called as ‘Amruta‘ in Sanskrit which means “Nectar”.
- Giloy is known as “Madhunashini” -“ Destroyer of Sugar”
Tinospora contains diverse phytochemicals including
- Phenylpropene disaccharides
- Tinosporic acid
Giloy Benefits And Uses
1. RESPIRATORY SYSTEM
- Giloy reduces several respiratory problems such as chest tightness, shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing etc.
2. GILOY FOR SKIN
- Giloy contains anti-aging properties that help reduce dark spots, pimples, fine lines and wrinkles.
3. HYPOGLYCEMIC EFFECTS OF GILOY
- Currently available oral anti-diabetic synthetic drugs in the management of diabetes partially can compensate for metabolic derangements.
- It has been reported that 1-2 substituted pyrrolidines isolated from the stem of Guduchi are responsible for anti-diabetic activity.
- It helps to enhance the production of insulin which ultimately controls the blood sugar levels.
4. DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
Giloy improves digestion and reduces digestion-related problems like diarrhea, colitis, vomiting, hyperacidity etc.
5. GILOY AS AN IMMUNITY BOOSTER
- This herb activates the immune system of the body and increases the vitality in a person.
- It is full of antioxidants and helps to release toxins from the body.
6. GILOY FOR CHRONIC FEVER
- In Ayurveda, two factors cause fever- Ama (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion) and the second one is due to some foreign particles.
- Giloy acts in chronic, recurrent fever, it is an anti-inflammatory, antipyretic herb which helps to boosts immunity to fight against infections and also helps in early recovery.
7. GILOY AS A STRESS RELIEVER
- Giloy calms the body and is an excellent remedy to reduce mental stress and anxiety.
- It calms the body and has the power to enhance memory and cognitive functions.